To which institutions can children/teens turn to if they need help?

To which institutions can children/teens turn to if they need help?


JAC (Jongeren Advies Centrum)
Child Focus
Vertrouwenscentrum Kindermishandeling (Confidential Centre for Child Abuse)
Youth service (in every city)


German Embassy
Rue Jacques de Lalaingstraat 8 - 14
1040 Brüssel
phone.: 02 787 18 00
fax: 02 787 28 00
Emergency case phone: 0475 57 77 62

see: (website in german)

„Ecoute Enfants“: 24 h number: 103
 „service de tutelle“:
Guardianship Service
115 boulevard de Waterloo 
1000 Brussels
Tel: +32 (0) 78154324
Fax: +32 (0) 25427083

CAU-„Centres d’acceuil d’urgences“: 8 shelters.



Council of Ministers, State Agency for Child Protection, Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Labour and Social Policy, Ministry of Transport, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Education and Science and their subsidiary state and executive agencies.

German Embassy

ul. Frédéric Joliot-Curie 25
BG - 1113 Sofia

phone: ++359 2
main office: 918 38 0

fax : ++359-2
main office:963 16 58

emergency phone: 00359 887 217511

see: (website in german)



The municipalities are obliged to help children and young people, if they have problems and need help.
Besides that, there are other public or private organisations, which help children, such as The National Council for Children, Børnesagens Fællesråd and Børns Vilkår

German Embassy
Stockholmsgade 57
DK - 2100 Kopenhagen Ø
embassy: 35 45 99 00
passport/visa: 35 45 99 11
emergency phone: 40 17 24 90
see: (website in german)



Police, local authority youth services, counseling services, child protection centers, etc.



Based on the Chancellor’s competence as an ombudsman, everyone who claims that their rights have been violated, or that they have been treated illegally or contrary to the principles of good governance, can file an application to the Chancellor of Justice.


2. Nationwide children Hotlines

In January 2009 was launched nationwide children Hotlines 116 111 to report operationally to enable the needy children in all offer children and adults and children associated with the necessary information and advice, and, if necessary, the primary crisis counseling.

3. Union for Child Protection

Union for Child Protection is the protection of children, which will contribute to ensuring the rights of the child development and child-friendly society.
Union for Child Protection is a non-governmental, non-profit organization, ensuring the rights of the child's activities is an association of Estonian society, which recognize and support the public, business and non-profit institutions and the general public.

German Embassy

Toom-Kuninga 11

15048 Tallinn

phone: +372 6275 300

fax: +372 6275 304

emergency phone: +372 5012 560


see: (website in german)



Emergency number: 112

Police: 10022

Childrens'- ja young people's help-line (Lasten ja nuorten puhelin)

offers discussion help in difficult life situations: 0800-120 400

Criminal offer-services (Rikosuhripäivystys): 0203-16116

Crises help-line (Nuorten kriisipisteen kriisipuhelin): 09-7535 121

Information for youth in various matters:


German Embassy

Krogiuksentie 4

00340 Helsinki

phone: 094558-0

fax: 0945858258

emergeny phone: 0505636546

See: (website in german)




local police stations (Police nationale, Police municipale, Gendarmerie Nationale)

hotline for free: 119 („allo enfant en danger“)

Children and young people can also contact a Youth Welfare Office.


German Embassy

13/15 avenue Franklin D. Roosevelt

75008 Paris

phone:+33 (0) 1 53 83 45 00

fax: +33 (0) 1 43 59 74 18

See also:


United Kingdom


The Samaritans



Botschaft der Bundesrepublik Deutschland

23 Belgrave Square



Tel.: 020 7824 1300

Fax: 020 7824 1449

Siehe auch:



Children and young persons under 18 years old, in case that they face a problem, can apply, depending on the problem, to several Services and Agencies (Police, Public Prosecutor of Minors, Social Services of the Minstry of Health and Social Solidarity, “Smile of the Child, e.t.c.)


German Embassy:

10675 Athens
Karaoli & Dimitriou 3
Post Office Box 1175, 10110 Athens

phone: 0030 210 7285111
fax: 0030 210 7251205


Consulate General Salonika:

54100 Thessaloniki
Karolou Diehl 4a
POB 10515

phone: 0030 310 236315
fax: 0030 310 240393

Honorary Consulate:

71110 Heraklion/Crete
Zografou 7
POB 1083

phone: 0030 810 226288
fax: 0030 810 222141

73100 Chania/Crete
Daskalogianni 65

phone: 0030 8210 28114, 28115
fax: 0030 8210 28116

49100 Corfu
Guilfordstr. 57

phone: 0030 6610 31453
fax: 0030 6610 31450

85100 Rhodes
Parodos Isiodou 12

phone: 0030 2410 63730
fax: 0030 2410 63730

26221 Patras
Mesonos 98

phone: 0030 610 221943
fax: 0030 610 621076

83100 Samos
Themistoklis Sofoulis 73

phone: 0030 2730 27260

38110 Volos
Leoforos Dimitriados 251
POB 1030

phone: 0030 4210 25379 oder 0030 4210 28441
fax: 0030 4210 35012 (only for incidents 62766)

See (website in german)



The Children's Rights Alliance in association with the Irish Council for Civil Liberties has published Know Your Rights: The Rights of Children and Young People.

Children's Rights Alliance

7 Red Cow Lane
Dublin 7
D07 XN29

Tel: +353 (0)1 662 9400

Fax: +353 (0)1 662 9355



The Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (ISPCC):


The Samaritans

German Embassy

31 Trimleston Avenue
Co. Dublin

Phone:+353 (0)1 269 3011
fax:+353 (0)1 269 3946

emergency phone: 353 (0)87 221 1382




If youth safety laws are violated, a complaint can be filed with the police authorities, such as the Carabinieri, the state police, which maintains a separate office for youth affairs at the provincial level, and the municipal police.

For problems in connection with relationship difficulties and problems of a social or psychological nature, people can turn to the social services which exist in every municipality or to the local health care facilities maintained by the government of each socio-sanitary district.

In order to help find a contact person for such matters, there is also a national public hotline which people call to report family problems in connection with maltreatment and sexual abuse (the call number is 114). There are also hotlines run by associations, including Telefono Azzurro.



Should they encounter any problems or difficulties, children may seek help from the police, centers for social welfare, the Office of the Ombudsman for Children, embassies and consular offices, health and other institutions, depending on the problem they have encountered.



Children and young people can contact the state child protection agency. This has a telephone hotline. Children and young people thus obtain psychological support, and learn to trust others, by reporting on their problems.

Telephone number of the Children Hotline: 116 111

In addition, there is a specific institution: the Children's Rights Department within the Office of the Ombudsman of Latvia. Thus, children and young people turn to the Ombudsman:

German Embassy
Raina Bulvaris 13

phone: 00371 67085100 
fax: 00371) 67085148

emergency phone: 00371 29466456

see: (website in german)



The main institution that is responsible for the protection of the rights of the child is State Child Rights Protection and Adoption Service that has its’ territorial divisions in all municipalities across Lithuania. It is also possible to call the police any time of the day by dialing 112.
Also, children can seek help by calling helpline for children – Children’s Line (every day from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.), Children‘s Helpline (weekdays from 11 a.m. To 7 p.m.) and Youth Line (any time of the day).
It is also possible to file a complaint about the violations of the rights if the child to the Lithuanian Ombudsman for Children’s Rights.

German Embassy, Z. Sierakausko g. 24/8, 03105 Vilnius

phone: 00370 5 210 64 00, fax : 00370 5 210 64 46

emergency phone: 8 650 55510

see: (website in german)



There are a large number of public and private institutions to which minors can turn if they are experiencing problems. These institutions are listed on the website


Ministère de la Famille et de l’Intégration) is responsible for the formulation of child and youth policy in Luxembourg (

This is made ​​under a National Youth Service (Service National de la Jeunesse SNJ), in particular for the implementation of youth policy (

Other ministries with contact points in children's and youth issues are:

The Ministry of Education (Ministère de l'Education nationale et de la Formation professi-onnelle):

Ministry of Health (Ministère de la Santé):

Ministry of Justice (Ministère de la Justice):

Ministry of Labor and Employment  (Ministère du Travail et de l'Emploi):

Ministry of Culture, technical education and research (Ministère de la Culture, de l'Enseignement Supérieur et de la Recher-che):

Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany

20-22, avenue Emile Reuter

L-2420 Luxemburg

Tel.: 00352 45 34 45 1

Fax: 00352 45 56 04


Standby Service:  Our telephone number 45 34 45 1 you will learn how to achieve this service.




There is a pyramid of services available from local institutions, including child safety services from the National Social Work Agency. These services are accessed primarily through a hotline, which is open 24 hours a day. The phone number is 179.

In the event of an accident or emergency, anyone can dial 196. There are plans to change this number to 112, in conformance with European practice.



There are a variety of institutions young people can turn to, such as the Children’s Helpline (Kindertelefoon) or Bureau for Youth Care or Centre for Youth and Families, most of which are organized on a local level (cities, municipalities)


German Embassy

Groot Hertoginnelaan 18-20

2517 EG Den Haag

phone: 0031 70 342 06 00

Fax:0031 70 365 19 57




German embassy
Metternichgasse 3, 1030 Vienna
phone: + 43 1 711 54 -0 / Fax: + 43 1 713 83 66
See: (website in german)
Bund: Dr. Ewald Filler, Dw 3245
Federal Ministry of Social Security, Protectiono of the generations and consumers
Franz Josefs Kai 51, 1015 Vienna,   
phone: 01 71100 0 / Fax: 0800-240264       

Burgenland: Mag. Christian Reumann, Dw 2808
Hartlsteig 2, 7001 Eisenstadt   
phone: 057 600 2808 / Fax: 057 600 2187       

Kärnten: Mag. Barbara Fuchs, Dw 31354 
8.-Mai-Str. 18, 9020 Klagenfurt   
phone: 080022 1708 / 050 536 31355 / Fax: 050 536 31340 /       

Niederösterreich: Mag. Gabriela Peterschofsky-Orange, Dw 16379
 „Tor zum Landhaus“, Stiege A, 3. OG, Wienerstraße 54, 3109 Pölten
Tel.: 02742 90811 / 02742 9005 0 / Fax: 02742 9005 15650 /  

Oberösterreich: Mag. Christine Winkler-Kirchberger,  Dw 14000
Promenade 37, 4021 Linz   
phone: 0732/7720-14001 / Fax:  0732/7720 14077 /
Salzburg: Dr. Andrea Holz-Dahrenstaedt, Dw 3230
Museumsplatz 4/2. Stock, 5020 Salzburg   
phone: 0662 430550 / 0662 8042 3221 / Fax: 0662 430550 3010 /      

Steiermark: Mag. Christian Theiss, Dw 4922
Nikolaiplatz 4a, 8020 Graz
phone:0810 500777 / 0316 877 4921 / Fax: 0316 877 4925 /      

Tirol: Mag. Elisabeth Harasser, Dw 3790
Sillgasse 8, 6020 Innsbruck   
phone: 0512 508 3792 / Fax: 0512 5083795 /     

Vorarlberg: DSA Michael Rauch, Dw 12
Schießstätte 12, 6800 Feldkirch   
phone 05522 84900 / Fax: 05574 511 923270 /      

Wien: DSA Monika Pinterits und Dr. Anton Schmid
Alserbachstraße 18, 1090 Vienna   
phone: 01 7077000 / 01 4000 85905 / Fax: 01 4000 99 85905 /   



The answer to this question depends on the type of problem with regard to which the child or minor decides to turn to a specific institution for help.

If the problems in question relate to the protection of life, health and property from unlawful attack, or other affairs pertaining to fundamental police functions (pursuant to Article 1 Paragraph 2 of the Police Act of 6 April 1990 [Official Journal 2002, No. 7, Item 58 with subsequent amendments]), the nearest police station, police headquarters or a policeman in the vicinity of the incident is the competent institution to which one should turn.

If the problem relates to the crossing of national boundaries, i.e. control of border traffic and the other functions of the Polish border control authority pursuant to Article 1 Paragraph 2 of the Border Control Act of 12 October 1990 (Official Journal 2002, No. 171, Item 1399 with subsequent amendments), a watchtower, border control point or a border control officer situated in the vicinity is the competent institution to which one should turn.

If the problems relate to the provision of assistance in the event of fire or natural disaster, the removal of local dangers or other fundamental tasks of the State Fire Service (pursuant to Article 1 Paragraph 2 of the Act on the State Fire Service of 24 September 1991 [2002 Official Journal No. 147, Item 1230 with subsequent amendments]), one should turn to the nearest fire station.

In addition, Article 1 of the Aliens Act of 13 June 2003 (Official Journal No. 128, Item 1175) defines guidelines and requirements for entry into the sovereign territory of the Republic of Poland, transit through Polish territory and the residence and departure of aliens, as well as modes of procedure and determination of the competent authorities. Pursuant to Article 141 of the Aliens Act, the central authority of governmental administration, responsible for repatriation affairs, entry and departure, residence within the territory of the Republic of Poland, granting refugee status and asylum, issuing residence permits and temporary protection and affairs relating to Polish citizenship within the scope of functions of the governmental administration is the President of the Office for Repatriation and Aliens.

For other problems, such as problems relating to health and social assistance for children and adolescents, persons residing in Poland may turn to the nearest health care or social welfare institution.

According to the Ministry of Economics, Labor and Social Policy, in cases where there is a suspicion that an employer has violated labor laws, any worker, including adolescents, should turn to the competent district labor inspector for help.

Other than government institutions, children and adolescents can also turn to other non-governmental institutions, such as the Children's Friends Society. Foreign nationals can, in any case, take their matter to the nearest consulate or other diplomatic mission from their country within the territory of the Republic of Poland.



They can aks policemen (the constabulary:„Políciade Segurança Pública“ or the republican national guard: „Guarda Nacional Republicana“) or the commission for child and youth protection in their region for help.


German Embassy

Campo dos Mártires de Pátria, 38

1169-043 Lisboa

phone: 03351 21 881 0210

Fax: 00351 21 885 38 46

see: (website in german)



There is still no information



Children can ask for help in their schools, at the social services in the municipality where they live and from some NGO:s. Foreign children can also turn to their embassies.


German Embassy

Förbundsreubliken Tysklands Ambassad

Artillerigatan 64

114 45 Stockholm

phone: +46 8 670 15 00
Fax: +46 8 670 15 72

see: (website in german)



The child has the right to apply for assistance with the social and legal child protection and social curatorship authority, other state authority, which, subject to special regulations (for example police), is competent to protect the rights and legally protected interests of the child, the facility, the municipality, the high territorial unit, the accredited entity, the school, the school facility, or the healthcare provider.All authorities, legal entities and natural persons, referred to in the first clause, shall be obliged to render immediate assistance to the child in protecting his or her life and health, take measures to ensure his/her rights and legally protected interests, also by mediating this assistance.This shall also apply where the child is unable to apply for assistance on its own, owing to age and mental development, and this is done through a third party.


German Embassy

Hviezdoslavova nám. 10

813 03 Bratislava

phone: +421 2 4400

Fax: +421 2 5441 9634

emergency phone: 0903 444 633

see: (website in german)



When in school, children can seek advice from a school psychologist or counsellor. Activities related to social assistance, i.e. preventing and resolving the social problems of individuals, families and population groups, are covered by the Social Assistance Act (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, No. 3/2007 – official consolidated text, 23/07 – as amended, 41/07 – as amended, 114/2006 – ZUTPG). This act confers powers on social work centres and, with them, certain tasks, including professional counselling and support in handling relationships between family members, child care and preparing families to assume their roles in day-to-day life. In particular, social work centres are active in the field of social prevention, first social help, personal attendance and helping families, and organising common actions for socially deprived groups. Social work centres can also provide other types of services and tasks if necessary for mitigating social distress and difficulties in particular environments. In addition, they can help children in need through their professional workers, who act as counsellors to the latter within the framework of their competences. Also working in this field are non-governmental organisations which provide counselling and other services to young adolescents. If children are in a tough situation they can also go to the nearest police office.


German Embassy

Prešernova 27
1000 Ljubljana

phone:+386 (0)1/479 03 00
Fax:+386 (0)1/425 08 99

see: in german)



As mentioned at the beginning, each Autonomous Community has its own system of protection of children, and in some Regions there are toll free direct support, but not all. Here is a list of phone numbers for each Autonomous Community:


·Andalucía: Teléfono de Notificación de Situaciones de Maltrato Infantil (900 851 818)

·Aragón: Instituto Aragonés de Servicios Sociales (976 715 602)

·Asturias: Teléfono del Menor (900 20 20 10)

·Cantabria: Dirección General de Servicios Sociales (942 20 77 76)

·Castilla – La Mancha: Dirección General de la Familia (925 28 70 96)

·Castilla y León: Dirección General de Familia (983 410 989)

·Catalunya: Telèfon Infància Respon (900 300 777)

·Ceuta: Servicios Sociales (956 504 652)

·Comunidad Valenciana: Direcció General de Família (963 428 500)

·Extremadura: Teléfono de Ayuda a la Infancia y a la Adolescencia (900 20 20 10)

·Galicia: Telefono do Neno (112)

·Illes Balears: Servei de Menors (971 17 74 00)

·Islas Canarias: Dirección General de Protección del Menor y la Familia (922 47 45 22 / 928 30 62 00)

·La Rioja: Dirección General de Política Social (941 291 829)

·Madrid: Instituto Madrileño del Menor y la Familia (91 580 34 64)

·Melilla: Fundación ANAR (900 20 20 10)

·Murcia: Dirección General de Familia y Menor (968 36 20 81)

·Navarra: Dirección General de Familia, Infancia y Consumo (948 292 952)

·País Vasco: Atención telefónica ZUZENEAN (012)

The general emergency phone number is 112, the fire department, the number 085th

The police is available 24 hours a day at number 091


German Embassy

Calle Fortuny 8

28010 Madrid

phone: + 34 91 55790 00

fax: +34 91 31021 04

Emergency phone: 0034 91 557 9000



Czech Republic

Authorities of the Child Welfare:

pedagogical-psychological counsiling institutions, agency for social and legal security of children, The International regulatory authorities for protection of children, regional authorities; authorities of the municipalities, police, etc. 

To associations, foundations, NGOs, etc.:
Linka bezpečí - Nadace Naše dítě (security facility - Foundation "Our Child")
Bily kruh bezpečí () White ring of security,
League lidských práv - Centrum pro právní ochranu dětí (Federation of Human Rights - Center for the legal protection of children),
Česká sekce DCI (Czech Branch of the International Organization for the Protection of Children),
Fond ohrožených dětí (Association for children in danger),
DETSKE Křížové centrum) (Center for Children in emergencies etc.


Botschaft der Bundesrepublik Deutschland

Vlašská 19, Postbox 88
118 01 Praha 1 — Malá Strana

phone: +420 257 113 111
fax: +420 257 53 40 56

see auch: (website in german)



police (general emergency number: 112 )

Blue Line Children's Crisis Foundation (harmonizedstandard european number:116 111)

Tourinform Call Center (0-24h 0036 1 438 80 80)

NANE Foundation


German embassy

Úri utca 64-66.
1014 Budapest

phone: 0036-1-488 3500

fax: 0036-1-488 3505

emergency phone: 0036 1 488 3500

See: (website in german)



Social welfare service of the Ministery of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance

Social Welfare Services - Central Offices
63, Prodromou
1468 Lefkosia,
phone: +357 22406709
Fax: +357 22667907


German embassy

Nikitaras Street 10
1080 Nicosia
Tel: 00357 22 451145
Fax: 00357 22 665694

emergency case.: 00357 99 689325